Monday, July 18, 2011

Children's Hat Tutorial



My son loves tractors, and I had some scraps of material with tractors on it, so I thought it’d be perfect for a hat for him. I used pattern Butterick B5056 , hat C.






1. Cut pattern pieces. (I didn’t include the pocket. I wanted to make it as simple as possible.)



2. Cut sheer interfacing .



3. Iron on interfacing to wrong side of fabric.




4. Sew 1/2 inch on crown piece, right sides together. (I actually had to take this apart and resew it at 1/4 inch.)
 


5. Flip the other way.



6. Sew top of hat right sides together to the crown.


 

7. Sew brim right sides together to crown.
 


8. Do the same for the lining of the hat. (The instructions were different. They only wanted me to sew two pieces inside the hat, but this makes it a lot easier and the inside will be a lot more professional-looking, and comfortable.)


9. Sew outside of hat to lining on edge, with right sides together, keeping about a 2- to 3-inch gap where it can be flipped inside out.

 

10. Flip inside out and sew 1/8 inch around the hat to finish it, using a backstitch.


Difficulties and alterations:
When I measured his head, it was 19 inches, which said that I needed size SMALL. I went ahead and cut the pattern pieces for size MEDIUM so he’d have room to grow, and I had to use 1/4 inch seams instead of 1/2 because even the Medium would have been too small for him.
The instructions had a lot of unnecessary sewing just to add to the “look” of the hat. They also wanted the lining to only cover part of the inside, which I simply made an exact copy of the hat for the lining and sewed it inside the hat. I really don’t understand why the instructions wouldn’t have made it that way.
I didn’t make the pocket on it because I wanted it to be simple and it really wouldn’t have added much to the hat because of the pattern of the fabric that I used.
Overall, I’d say this was a pretty simple project. One thing I learned about sewing things together that are circular, is that you really have to pin it into place before sewing, and even then it could turn out not fitting together perfectly. I had to do some trimming and some extra seam sewing in order for it to fit together right. The lining was easier, probably because it had thinner fabric and didn’t have the interfacing.