Backpack, I chose view A
One-size--pattern envelopes says 14x11x4 (mine is 13.5”x11”x4 since I had to take off 1/2” from the bottom front/back to properly line it up.)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
It looked even better!
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were VERY easy to follow. The last backpack I did was from Butterick 6072. This pattern was easier to follow than the Butterick.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked that it was so easy! I disliked that when it came time to sew the gusset to the front/back, it did not line up. I followed the directions exactly and I had to trim off about 1/2” from the front/back. The hardest part to sew was the last step—sewing the lining to the outside. Also, the lining did not line up with the outside, so I had to sew a strip of fabric to the back of the lining where the zipper meets.
For the print fabric, I used 45'' Home Essentials Fabric- Fc Liseli Sky from Joann’s—100% cotton—very durable.
For the solid, I used Sew Classic Bottomweight Canvas Target Solid Fabric (medieval blue) from Joann’s--65% polyester and 35% cotton—very durable.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I added a pocket to each side, copied from Butterick 6072 at 130% zoom.
As mentioned above, I had to trim off about 1/2” from the bottom of the front/back. I also added a zipper pocket to the inside, identical to the zipper pocket on the outside. It was so easy! I also used fabric with Pellon 809 Décor Bond for the straps and loop instead of webbing because last time I used webbing it frayed way too much, even after heating the ends and double-sewing it. It worked great but it made it difficult to sew through 4 layers of the décor bond. Because the fabric was so stiff and durable, I did not use interfacing. I only used Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece when it called for it.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I will definitely sew it again and I recommend it to others, but next time I will have to add some length to the gusset in order for it to fit properly without having to trim off the front/back.
I love how it turned out. I like how it looks a lot better than the photos on the pattern. I have three more kids that want me to make them one.
Adding the pocket:
Step 1: I folded over the top twice then stitched and edgestitched.
Step 2: I measured an inch down from the bottom gusset and marked where the bottom was on the gusset.
Step 3: I marked 1/4” above (to the left of) the other mark.
Step 4: I flipped the pocket over, (right side of pocket to right side of gusset), I lined up the bottom of the pocket with the last mark I made and sewed 1/4” from the bottom of the pocket.
5. I sewed the side edges of the pocket (which are purposely wider than the gusset) to the edges of the gusset.
Using Fabric For Straps:
Because the last backpack I made was coming apart at the straps, I double sewed, 1/4” and 3/8”.
Because I had to fold over the straps twice, then sew it down, it was very bulky and difficult to sew. Next time I will trim the Décor Bond so that I am only sewing layers of fabric. I originally made the décor bond the same size as the piece of straps (3” wide) but next time I will make it 1.5” wide and a couple inches shorter.
Adding a strip of fabric to the lining to match it up:
See how it doesn’t match up?
I sewed it to the side edges of the inside of the lining. That’s why I always pin before sewing, to make sure everything fits.
I always like to calculate costs and time for making things so that I know if they are really worth it in the end if I’m going to be selling them. I ALWAYS buy things at a sale price or with coupons. I NEVER pay full price.
Print fabric: $5.24/yard, I used about 1/2 yard—$2.62
Solid Fabric: $4.34/yard, I used about 1/2 yard—$2.17
Zippers: (2) 12-inch—$1.09 each, (1) 20-inch (which should have been 22-inch—oops)—$1.24
D Rings: $1.24
Fleece: $3.59/yard, I used about 1/2 yard—$1.79
Décor Bond: $1.99/yard, I used 2 strips of 3x14” and 2 strips of 3x19”, so say 1/3 yard—$0.66.
Time it took to make—10 to 11 hours, which would have taken less if I didn’t have trouble with the front/back matching with the gusset.